Alas, today Nigel Farage has sought retirement but he goes with the grateful thanks of 52% of the country - and the other 48% can just get stuffed! If anyone deserves a statue on that empty plinth in Trafalgar Square it's him. It has been a remarkable story in which one man seized on a political idea which was originally shared by three men and a dog and against huge opposition and derision he drove it to a literally stunning success.
Unfortunately, earlier today, I chanced upon a post at EU Referendum a blog run by Dr. Richard North, a former colleague of Nigel Farage both of whom worked together in Brussels. Today's post is on the subject of Farage's resignation and might be briefly described as the equivalent of pouring equal measures of bile and sick over the departing Nigel Farage. To say that there is obviously bad blood between these two is to understate the case by a mile. I have no idea what caused the rift and I definitely do not take sides.
However, as I have remarked, uneasily, before on this blog, regular writing even on non-personal subjects gradually tells the careful reader more and more about you. I used to be a regular reader of Dr. North's blog but gradually I was put off by the sheer belligerence of his writing style. He is the political equivalent of Geoffrey Boycott, another fellow 'Yorkie'! For all I know, his abusive, opinionated, insulting 'stream of consciousness' on the subject of Mr. Farage may be well deserved. However, the post itself plus the argumentative comments below has definitely put me off Dr. North for ever.
Anyway, 'we bid farewell' to 'our Nige' - er, but don't rule out a come back! - and wish him well. He goes with the gratitude of several zillion British voters - including me!